Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pupkin and Potter

Brandon - watching The King of Comedy was definitely one of the best decisions I've made in a while. Agreed, there is a real, singular focus with Bupkin. The film makes a great point about how far a man can go to fulfill his dreams. For some people, the only way they can ever become famous, even if they are somewhat talented, is to kidnap a talk show host.
Mostly I consider myself to be a big fan of the black comedy genre. Obviously the subject matter in a dark comedy is very delicate and cannot be executed properly by just anyone. I would never doubt Scorsese/De Niro's abilities to get it right. And so I think because of the fact that I'm a fan of the genre and because it's with the aforementioned duo, it definitely made it easier to see through the disturbing/extremely dark aspects of the film. It was like a roller coaster ride or something - perhaps it should've scared the hell out of me, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Even the scenes with Masha.

Yeah, "fans" can be a real pain in the ass. And sure, we're all fans of someone...but you're right, Brandon, many of them don't realize how a celebrity or a performer can be burnt out. There's a part of me that wouldn't want to meet any of the actors or musicans that I "love." I'd hate to catch them in an inopportune moment. And really, I don't blame the celebrities who do act like assholes to their fans. To be an asshole every single time is one thing, but be caught during one bad moment is another and in my mind, they are forgiven. As a culture, we take way too many things personally.

Lisa & Brandon - I definitely do not view either of you as Harry Potter haters. Even if you were, I wouldn't necessarily feel a strong need to rush to its defense. I think the age thing is the biggest factor, and again, I was very close to missing out on all of this stuff like the two of you. And you're right Brandon, it would've been all the more difficult if I was being turned onto Lord of the Rings at the time. Though I do have to admit, I'm glad I didn't read those books in a way because it probably would have altered my love for the movies. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment