Sunday, July 24, 2011

"Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" - Patti Smith

I think the only reason why I mentioned my atheism was because I wanted dispel the idea that my  reaction was based on my religious view (but I guess by announcing that, I shot myself in the foot). I don't know, people probably assume that an atheist hates it merely for the fact that it's about the guy Christians believe died for our sins. But you're right, Brandon, let's call a spade a spade, it's torture and that's the reason to feel negative about it...not the Christian aspect. And I put the Patti Smith quote as my post title just because I love that cover of Gloria and that line. I really don't have a problem with Christians. Well, yes I do, but it's nothing that any of my Christian friends or family members have to worry about.

And maybe the root of the problem was that I don't understand the love for Mel. I DO NOT feel any negative feelings about anyone (whether they're in film club or not) for saying that they like him. I'm just curious, I guess. And I figured it was due to movies like Mad Max, Maverick, and Leathal Weapon. I liked him in Signs, too, though Brandon, so chalk that one up to weird inconsistency on my part. I hate the man, not the artist. I don't think Woody Allen or Roman Polanski's personal lives should influence the way people feel about their movies either. But speaking from a artist/talent stand-point, I feel that Mel is overhyped. But it's true, you grew up on Mad Max and I did not. Had I, I'm sure I'd have a different reaction and I definitely want to see that movie soon. Anyone a Ransom fan? Ha, I just remember watching that as a kid and maybe liking it...maybe. Not really a movie kids should be watching, though. What is wrong with my parents?

Right, I mostly don't have a problem coming at you, Brandon, because I know we both enjoy debate when it comes to this kind of stuff and we're not mean-spirited (even if I seem like it sometimes). And again, much respect. When John was ripping on us for liking Harry Potter, I was laughing my ass off...so definitely the same for me, come at me with all you've got. It's easier to debate the work of others anyway, if I made a film and you guys were critical...that would be the time for me to take things personally. So I definitely don't mind at all...but it is a little weird to share top ten lists. Feels more personal than it should be. But I'll come out of my shell soon.

And I have to say, Brandon, I'm not sure why you seem to be comparing Garden State to The Graduate. The latter is on my favorite films and a semi-modern classic - a great Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack beats the pants off of The Postal Service any day. Agreed, fuck that band. The Shins - I kind of like some of their stuff, but I don't know enough about them to argue in favor of them. But yeah, I don't really care for  Braff's bands or themes either. I think we should really discuss The Graduate at some point here - should be a lot of fun. But yeah, if both movies were personified and hanging from a cliff - I would save The Graduate instantly and let Garden State fall to its death...even if I had all the time in the world to save it.

You bastard, how dare you call the twist in The Village the pits! It's the single greatest moment in the history of cinema!! No, I understand what you're saying about the post 9-11 fear stuff and from that point of view, I do agree with you. I guess I just never considered that after watching it. Good point.

It'll be fun to discuss The Sixth Sense someday, too. Why is that movie beginning to feel overrated to me? Hm, maybe not. We'll find out later, I suppose. Thanks, Brandon, for this and future debates/discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment