Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Drive


Well, someone else will have to be the dissenting voice...

Drive was f*cking awesome - there's really no other appropriate way for me to put it. It's the reason why I go to the movies. Like Jeff, I might be inclined to call it a masterpiece because I didn't walk away from the theater with any regrets or any feelings that I would change something about it. There's no wasted time here. It is what it is and it can't be duplicated. Well, people might try and duplicate it, but they'll fail miserably if they do.

The style, the music, the script, the direction all worked wonderfully together. Without this movie, I'd probably never give the soundtrack any consideration, but it fits perfectly and even makes an already very cool film that much cooler.

Lisa posted that apt/amusing someecard on facebook. Really, though, I think I have a crush on everyone in this film - even Ron Perlman's ugly self. As Jeff said, the chemistry between Gosling and Mulligan is perfect - they say so much just from staring at each other. Cranston, Brooks, Oscar Issac, Christina Hendricks, Perlman, Kaden Leos - hats off.

The camera movement was silky smooth and I agree with Jeff that Refn upped his game for this one (though I've only also seen Bronson, which I really enjoyed). I'm glad he wrote the thing about Gosling recruiting him for this project - just goes to show how this one was completely rescued. I guess the shitty action film that featured Hugh Jackman was turned into Real Steel. Refn also just handled the tension perfectly and the tension was aided by the degree of violence in the film. Brooks and Perlman are dangerous people who want hesitate to stab you multiple times in the throat.  Brandon noted how some of the reviews were critical of the violence, and really, people should know what they're getting into before seeing this...as it's pretty graphic; I had my wisdom teeth removed earlier in the day and luckily I wasn't feeling nauseous at the time.

We've talked about violence in film quite a bit on these blogs, so maybe this film will help to continue that conversation a bit - but I definitely saw no problems with how it was handled. The driver's attitude throughout the film seemed very nonchalant and fearless - Refn matched that fearlessness with each decision and I love it.

The pacing is also brilliantly done - as John said, even when the movie feels very slow, Gosling and Mulligan's facial expressions keep the film moving. The silent scenes are just as enjoyable for me as the car chases and everything else. And I wish I had counted the seconds in which Gosling sat in the car with his stab wound at the end. You were waiting for that blink and each second that he didn't was a bit mesmerizing.

Who is the audience for this movie? Not that I really care, but I did expect this film to do better in the box office - it seems to offer a little bit of something for everyone. I wouldn't be shocked to hear a negative review of the film, but I'd really have to be convinced that there's nothing redeemable about it. But word-of-mouth is traveling quickly - it's too violent and it isn't The Fast and the Furious. More to love.

This first post is pretty gushy - sorry. I have more to say, but right now I'm feeling feverish (Gosling fever, perhaps?) and I need to lie down. Let me think about things a bit more, because I know there's still quite a bit to discuss. I can't wait for everyone else to see it, and hopefully that happens soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment