Monday, April 30, 2012

April Activity

 Using the John Owen System:

* Hated it/Never want to see it again
** Didn't like it/Maybe I'll watch it again someday, though
*** Liked it/Enjoyable, but it'll be awhile before I see it again
**** Really liked it/A favorite to be revisited often
***** Loved it/A masterpiece that I can't live without

16 Features

Battleship Potemkin ***
Brief Encounter ****
The Cabin in the Woods ***
Cleo From 5 to 7 ****
Destry Rides Again ****
Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Sex****
Good Morning ****
Jules et Jim ****
The Kid (1921...not 2000, Jeff)*****
Ladies in Retirement ***
Le Plaisir ****
Meet Me In St. Louis *****
My Favorite Wife ****
Quai Des Orfevres ****
Seven Samurai *****
Young Mr. Lincoln ****

Notes: The Cabin in the Woods gets three stars from me, but only because I'm not a horror fan. I completely respect the film and have even recommended it to a couple of friends. I knew one of my friends would absolutely love it...turns out, he did.

Every Thing You Wanted To Know About Sex isn't one of Woody's best, but I have to say, very few movies cheer me up in the way that a 70s/80s Woody Allen comedy can.

Sorry I didn't get that Cleo From 5 to 7 paragraph to you, Brandon; I did watch the film after you asked me to, but things got busy and I completely forgot about sending a paragraph. I guess technically I could still send you one...since you haven't posted your 1962 list yet. But you've probably already written something up on it. Anyway, my favorite moment from the film is when Cleo meets the soldier towards the end. I love the bond they share through uncertainty and potential doom.

My Favorite Wife isn't necessarily a masterpiece, but it was incredibly enjoyable from beginning to end. It's one of the funniest classic comedies that I've ever seen and I can't wait to watch it again.

The Battleship Potemkin discussion will commence soon. I do agree that it'll be a little more difficult to discuss than the other film's we've watched together. I will say that as far as propaganda films are concerned, give me Commie propaganda.

Also, John, you had asked if there were any references to Eisenstein's film on The Simpsons...unless I'm forgetting something, there aren't any in seasons 1-10. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you because I haven't seen a lot of those episodes. BUT...on The Critic (created by Simpsons writers Al Jean and Mike Reiss), there is a nod to the famous "Odessa stairs" sequence (it's at the 22 second mark in the video below, which is of critic Jay Sherman's student film). How's that for nerdy?


TV

30 Rock season 6
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show
Game of Thrones season 2
Girls 1 episode
Mad Men season 5
Parks and Recreation season 4
Real Time with Bill Maher
The Ricky Gervais Show season 3
Seinfeld seasons 1, 2, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment