Friday, January 13, 2012

Top Ten Woody Allen Films


1. Love and Death
2. Annie Hall
3. Hannah and Her Sisters
4. Manhattan
5. Crimes and Misdemeanors
6. Bananas
7. Sleeper
8. Take the Money and Run
9. Match Point
10. Zelig

HM: Midnight In Paris, Whatever Works, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Manhattan Murder Mystery, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, What's Up, Tiger Lily, Scoop

Great list, Jason. I'm glad we agree on Love and Death (Bob Hope and Woody Allen is a match made in comedic heaven). I'm definitely more of a fan of his "earlier, funnier films" but I admit that I haven't seen Bananas or Take the Money and Run in a long time; I wanted the DVDs for Christmas, but I think they've stopped making new copies and the price is ridiculously high on both :(

What's Up. Tiger Lily might be controversial for the number two spot, but I'm glad you like it so much. It's hilarious and underrated; I remember laughing a lot when I saw it.

Midnight In Paris needs to sit with me more before it can crack the top ten. I bought the DVD but I haven't gotten around to rewatching it.

Annie Hall might be a popular pick, but there's a lot to love about that movie, and I feel it's his most complete film.

Crimes and Misdemeanors and Match Point are obviously similar, but I love both for their differences. Match Point is a sexy, young drama unlike anything Woody has ever done. And Crimes and Misdemeanors features one of my favorite comedic teams in all of cinema: Woody and Alan Alda. Alda plays the pseudo-intellectual role to perfection.

I need to rewatch Zelig, it'd probably be higher on my list if I did. I still haven't seen Bullets of Broadway or Mighty Aphrodite...which I know many people hold in high-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment