Thursday, July 19, 2012

Breaking Bad: Season 5


 SPOILERS THROUGHOUT

I wish I had found the time to marathon seasons 1-4 of Breaking Bad before the season 5 premier last Sunday. But I was able to re-watch most of 2 and the first half of 3. While I'll probably finish the second half of season 3 and all of season 4 in next few weeks, I reminded myself this morning that I'll have plenty of time to marathon the entire series when season 5 is on a 9-month break. That's gonna be a painful...

Season 5 is off to a great start, and when I think about where we'll be a year from now, I can't foresee being disappointed at all. Vince Gilligan has set this show up for success. For five years now it's been building and building and I imagine we'll be treated to one hell of a showdown at the end. But just who is that machine gun for? You would think that it's meant for a group of people - my first thought was the DEA. Maybe Hank finally discovers who Walt really is. Maybe Jesse discovers more of who Walt really is and tips off Hank. Or maybe the gun is meant for other Cartel members.

As you wrote, John, the magnet heist was f'ing awesome (there's no chance of not sounding like Chris Farley here). One of the great things about the show is that it contains many elements from different shows/movies/genres - a show with many hats. But back to the magnet sequence - the problem was interesting/original and the solution was cool and brilliant. Well done, Gilligan.

I do hope Mike sticks around, but now that the laptop is destroyed, I'm not sure that he would want to. He's become my favorite character on the show, though, so I'd be sad to see him go.

I actually didn't mind Skyler in that last episode. No doubt Anna Gunn is a good actress, but I've never liked the way her character is written. I guess all it took was for Walt to go off the deep end for me to garner some sympathy for her.

I had briefly forgotten what happened Ted at the end of season 4. The previously on Breaking Bad helped some, but yeah, there's a moment in which I really needed to re-watch the show. Not sure if I feel bad for Ted at all. He's kind of a douche.

Walt needs to die. Not now, of course, but at the end of the series. It's been one hell of a transformation and it's interesting to see how quickly things snowballed and got out of hand, but yeah, the person Walt has become cannot go on living. I wonder who will be the one to take him out or will his cancer finally get him?

No comments:

Post a Comment